June 26, 2014

It's not the size of the dog in the fight . . .



. . . it’s the size of their balls.

So, I tweaked the old saying a bit. We’ve all heard the original, how it’s the size of the fight in the dog, but not until yesterday did I apply this philosophy to my writing career.

An author friend and I were emailing back and forth. She told me a funny sad story about her dog, Jess, and what trouble she’d gotten into.

Our conversation drifted and I was shocked to hear that 30 pound Jess likes to chase 600 pound wild bears when they go on hikes (which rhymes with Yikes!).

See Jess’s story here:




After laughing watching the video, it made me wonder how big Jess’s non-existent balls were. I weigh a teeny bit *cough-cough* more than 30 pounds and unless my inner gas tank were filled with straight moonshine, I’d never go after a freaking bear.

The difference between Jess and I:  Confidence




Four years ago as a new author who penned weird original material, I had confidence by the bucketfuls. Nobody ever told me shapeshifting centaurs would be a niche genre.

*** Just like nobody told Jess she was smaller than the bear. ***

Until I discovered gravity in the form of sales rank, confidence was my friend.

I wish I could be more like Jess and chase that damn bear! Go balls out, bark my loudest, and not allow fear to enter the game.

Thank you to Liza O’Conner for allowing me to steal share Jess for this blog. Incidentally, Jess shows up twice in Liza’s book “Saving Casey”. Amazon Link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A7KRSOO

Go forth and be bold today, friends.
May your balls be huge.





19 comments:

  1. That video was awesome! And funny! Thank you for sharing. Great post, too. I wish I was more like Jess too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like another blog heading: "Everything I learned in writing was taught by a dog named Jess." LOL

      Delete
    2. Has Jess hired a publicist? If so, I want sharing rights. Jess has treed 3.5 cubs (one couldn't stay in the tree). I have no video of those because I was busy asking my guardian angel to save us. We've run into the giant bear three times, and except the time we woke it up, and it rose up on it's back paws eight feet away from us, Jess has given the bear hell. Jess remained beside me and quiet as I negotiated a truce and we backed away from the giant bear standing so very very tall, Jess has given him hell.

      I hoped to convince him to leave so we could continue down the trail, but the bear refused to move. So we trekked off trail to get around the bear.

      One other tidbit: The reason why the text in the video calls me Cass instead of Liza, it's because I was shooting a hiking videos as my character Cass from Saving Casey.(The bear was not part of my planned video.)

      Delete
  2. Love Jess! I don't have confidence issues most of the time. The one time it takes a beating is when I get a rejection from a NY house. That kind of takes it out of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would knock me off kilter too. Good thing you stand very tall on your own.

      Delete
  3. Great post and video. I could use a dose of confidence. Tweeted :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Wish I could bottle it and use as needed.

      Delete
  4. I wish I could be more like Jess. Do you think she would give classes on how to learn to have more confidence? Frankly, I deal with the self esteem issues about writing... well.. about everything at times. I bow down to Jess's confidence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pick yourself back up! There'll be none of that. I happen to know lots of people look up to you, and I'm not talking about size.

      Delete
  5. I guess I have some hefty writing balls (so-to-speak) since I've gone full tilt into Indie publishing, but my bear-chasing balls are sadly lacking. But I have managed to survive with this strategy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent video. I like Jess' moxy.
    I have confidence in my stories, but I don't have the moxy/drive/confidence to strive hard to get them in the face of readers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder how the telemarketers do it day after day. Now they have some BIG balls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do have confidence issues, but I'm trying to deal with them. If Jess starts giving classes, please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun post and I think a lot of us lack confidence at some time or other. It's only natural, human.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. Perhaps Jess hides hers better. Still, there's a lesson to be learned. Thanks for coming by today!

      Delete
  10. Great post, Sheri! I definitely agree with the lack of confidence. Unfortunately, I think we all lack it at points... often. Or at least I know I do. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thus Jess can teach us how to overcome! LOL

      Delete

Welcome to my romantic world - I look forward to your comment!