July 13, 2015

Deb Julienne - Crashing Into Love




Welcome Deb Julienne and her steamy excerpt from the recently released multi-author anthology "Crashing Into Love".



A Splash of Romance by Deb Julienne.

Who knew a plane crash would lead to romance? Hannah Parks is a trauma nurse on her way to a symposium at the Sister Kenny Rehabilitation Institute. She just started her bucket list and a plane crash definitely isn't on it.  Oliver Lawson's divorce is final and he's looking to start over. A tropical island, a gorgeous woman. Romance is one thing, getting there as a result of a crash landing...who knew? 



EXCERPT:
Something fun for Sheri's flaming blog!

Fun Facts about A Splash of Romance. I wrote a scene in which Hannah makes the acquaintance of a rather long and scary python. In real life, it was a 6 foot octopus. I'd gone as a parent chaperone on my daughter's science camp trip. We're in the observation area, listening to the docent tell us about all the aquatic critters they had. I felt something touch my right arm, thinking it was my daughter, but then I saw she was on my left...I turned and this long arm reached across me and grabbed my left boob. I think I was mentally channeling this situation when it came to write the scene below.

Oliver was taking a swim in the surf, when he came out, Hannah was gone...he called for her, but she didn't respond...he raced into the jungle, calling her name. She told him to stop, not come any further. She was in the middle of "poppin a squat" when a python grabbed her...by this point I'm drawing a blank. I had researched snakes of the area and had all sorts of colorful snakes in my file I had planned to use. I have no idea where the python came from, so I naturally hit the internet and typed in pythons in the South Pacific...this is what I got. I couldn’t stop laughing in order to get back to Hannah's terror...and you wonder why I write comedy...eeesh!



Here’s a snippet from “A Splash of Romance”:

When they finished lunch, Oliver excused himself and took a swim in the ocean. He had so much pent up energy he couldn’t stand it. The exertion felt great, just what he needed. He returned the shore only it was empty. “Hannah,” he called out. She didn’t respond. Racing out of the surf full speed, headed for the edge of the jungle. He pushed his way past the thick vegetation. He tripped on a vine, but caught himself.

“Hannah.”

He made if about thirty yards into the foliage, calling out, “Where are you?”

“Don’t come any closer, it might bite me.” Her voice was shaking.

“What are you talking about? Where are you?” He searched everywhere listening for a clue to her whereabouts.

“I’m about ten yards to your right. I-I was popping a squat when it grabbed me.” 

“You were what?” He went around a huge boulder and still didn’t see her.

“You know, shaking hands with my best mate.”

Oliver laughed at her use of the term.

“Stop laughing and tell me what to do? Hurry Oliver, I’m afraid to move.”

Oliver edged toward her voice, looking all around as he went, trying to figure out what she was talking about. Ever vigilant, he stepped cautiously as he moved closer.

“Say something.” He was getting closer.

“I’m over here.”

Oliver stopped where he was. His gaze fused with Hannah’s. She stood frozen in place. A fifteen foot python used its heat sensors along its jaw to check her out. He was well aware of their poor eyesight. It was a perfect specimen, with its beautiful dark brown and gold patterned skin, although somehow he didn’t think Hannah would share his love of snakes. It wasn’t squeezing her. He scanned the ground for a branch or stick he could use to free her before the thing decided it was hungry for her.

Stepping carefully, he edged closer. “When I get to you I’m going to use the stick I have to gently move it away from your stomach. You’re going to have to move slowly away from it. Luckily, it isn’t coiled around you. It’s playing with you. ”

“Playing my ass—how can you say that? I’m freaking out.” Her face was drained of all color.

He inched the last few steps. “No you’re not. You’re doing great. Remaining calm is the right thing to do. Just don’t make any abrupt movements. I’m almost there.” 

Hannah sniffed. 

He could see she was shaking. He had to move now. “Okay, now when you feel the weight of the snake move off you, step forward slowly and just keep walking toward the beach, I’ll be right behind you.”

“Oliver, I’m scared.” Her lips trembled.

“Don’t be. Almost there.” He raised the branch, it was as big around as a woman’s forearm and tucked it under the snake’s jaw, steering the head away from Hannah. When the head was about two feet from Hannah he whispered, “Now. Go!”

Hannah took three cautious steps then bolted, shoving her way through the foliage as fast as she could.

He moved the snake to the left and it slithered up the tree. He dropped the branch and ran after Hannah.

He barely broke through the jungle to the beach when she launched herself into his arms. “My plan worked. Glad the snake cooperated.”

“I’ve never been so scared. That was worse than the plane crash. I was trying to go to the bathroom before you came back, and it never entered my mind to keep an eye out for snakes. I barely managed to get my underwear up when it grabbed me.” Hannah shivered.

Oliver couldn’t stop laughing. She rambled like nitwit and shook something fierce. He did the only thing he could think of. He kissed her.

Hannah melted into his arms. He moved her away from the jungle walking her straight towards the surf. They didn’t stop until they were waist deep.

“Thank you.” Hannah stroked his cheek.

“For what? I should thank you for giving me the excuse to play your hero.”

Hannah kissed him again. Lost in her delicious kisses, he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close. He squeezed her ass cheek. Her arms wrapped around his neck pulling her closer still.

Out of nowhere, a big wave slammed over the tops of their heads, knocking them to the ground, sending them body surfing onto the shore. Hannah’s lips never left his mouth. They lay in the surf, reminding him of the scene in the old movie with the couple necking as the waves surrounded their bodies. 

It was the hottest kiss of his life.




About Deb Julienne

While some say truth is stranger than fiction, Deb Julienne’s experience runs more along the lines of a slap-stick comedy; when life tosses you lemons the only thing to do is to turn it into Limoncello. Deb’s dream of being published came true with the release of her first book, SEX, LIES, AND BEAUTY AIDS, a romantic comedy, in March of 2014.

As a longtime member of both Romance Writers of America (RWA) and her local RWA Chapter, the Sacramento Valley Roses, she fills the hours she’s not writing romantic comedy and romantic suspense with her day job at a Silicon Valley Corporation and playing in the kitchen concocting her award-winning jams, jellies, preserves, and sauces (with alcohol of course). She resides in her own little bit of heaven in the Sierra Tahoe National Forest Basin, with her husband of 33 years, their three sons and one daughter, and two very precious grandkids.


Find Deb at:



Twitter:@debjulienne


  
Buy Links:



Createspace: https://www.createspace.com/5561133

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for featuring the box set! I love that image... who would put a python skin there??

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my romantic world - I look forward to your comment!